Tuesday, December 31, 2013

WHAT A MONTH!

30 Days ago was Ironman Day.

That feels like forever ago.  No I'm not being dramatic.

I literally feel like this....


Was like a year ago.  No I'm not being dramatic.

Let's see, what are the highlights!

12 miles ran with all 12 making me feel like I had lead for feet and bricks in my chest.

11 workouts I have started but ended early because it just didn't feel productive

10 family gatherings/parties I've attended where there have been copious amounts of booze and food

9 days before Christmas Eve is when I actually started shopping and bought the first gift

8 run team practices.  Some in the rain, some in the cold. (I only actually "ran" at one of them...)

7 follow up Dr. appointments scheduled.  But yep...only made it to 3.

6 dozen cookies.  I no lie think I've eaten 6 dozen cookies.

5 days holed up inside because I got the flu (currently still holed up inside...)

4 TOTAL days I've missed of work due to above FLU and....

3 migraine headaches in 3 days (only had ever had 3 TOTAL in my life before that happened...)

2 pulled hamstrings from trying to do too much in one of the 11 workouts

And a tattoo on my neck for all to see.


It hasn't all been bad.  (I got some AMAZING GIFTS for Christmas) But it hasn't all been good either.  I loved and enjoyed every minute of getting to see my family, some I hadn't seen in over a year.  And I loved catching up with friends and decorating our tree and just enjoying the Holidays.  BUT for someone like me that is a creature of habit, consistency, schedule, and plans...

Coming off of an Ironman and heading straight into Christmas and New Year's has felt like a roller coaster of epic proportions.

For 6 months, I had been used to following a schedule week to week, where just about every hour of my day was mapped out.  Train my girls, train myself, eat, rest, train my girls, run practice, rest, sleep, repeat.  Usually something like that 5 days a week.  Then weekends were reserved for long rides and then run team and long runs.  Who had time for parties and get togethers???? I did NOT.  So the switch from all of that.  Being on a schedule, not eating 100% but definitely not enjoying cookies and wine on the daily, to the free for all that has been the last 30 days.  It took its toll.

It took its toll mentally, physically, and emotionally.  I'm used to having "control" over what I do week to week, but during the Holidays, for most of us...we kind of have to let go of that "control" and just go with it.  Everyone has parties, and concerts and stuff comes up.

Why do you think everyone is always so ANXIOUS for January 1 to come?  Because after a month or so of living life on the Holiday Edge, we all pretty much need a do-over.  Kudos to those that stayed on track for December.  I'm going to go ahead and throw down the White Flag of Surrender and say that December totally ate me for lunch and spit me out around December 28th with the Flu wondering what the hell happened.

Could I have seen this coming?  How bad I would feel (and I'm not talking about just being sick for most of the month) after doing something so "great"?  Sure.

I had a feeling I would have an epic comedown after I finished Ironman.  If you google "POST IRONMAN BLUES"...You will see that I am not alone, I'm actually part of the norm.

Everything I've read says that it takes 6-8weeks for you to completely bounce back from your first Ironman.  I can believe that 10000%.  Now will it be this bad the next time?  I'm going to say no.

Anytime you do something for the first time, and then have to recover from it, come back from it, etc its always bad.  You've never been in that situation before.  You are navigating new waters, who knows what to expect?  But once you've done it...you learn from the first time's heartache and do better.

Also, I won't come off of Ironman #2 and be in the middle of the Holiday season.  I NEVER even thought of that as an obstacle when I chose to do IM Cozumel.  Now...holy crap.  That's a big deal.

So as I sit here on Day 4 of House Flu Arrest.  Can't go outside, can't celebrate New Year's Eve with friends or attend any parties (like I really need to go to another party right?), I'm planning for the future and how I can do better moving forward.  If I was going to have a shitty month...I may as well learn from that shitty month and work to make the next time not so bad.

I start training for IRONMAN TEXAS on Monday.  I'll officially be back to square ONE with my training plan, and I've already made a few adjustments where I think I need the most work.

What I won't be doing is moping around anymore.  Today is the last day of 2013.  2014 has no time for moping around. 

Happy New Year Everyone!

Thanks for cheering me on,
Lacy



No comments:

Post a Comment